One of the 'miracle cures' to hit the streets is really just industrial bleach — and it can kill you
Earlier this week the FDA sought to put the kibosh on a “miracle cure” that has been making the rounds in the US. It comes under different names: Miracle or Master Mineral Solution and Miracle Mineral Supplement are prominent on the list.
The FDA calls it bleach. And the agency has been fielding a slew of complaints from consumers who have taken it only to experience severe vomiting, diarrhea, acute liver failure and lethally low blood pressure brought on by dehydration.
In an age when anti-science is trendy in some circles, people have been buying this product to cure HIV, autism, of course cancer, and even the flu. In more appropriate applications, it’s used to treat industrial water and strip textiles.
Here’s the FDA’s description of what the miracle cure is:
Websites selling MMS describe the product as a liquid that is 28% sodium chlorite in distilled water. Product directions instruct consumers to mix the sodium chlorite solution with citric acid – such as lemon or lime juice – or another acid before drinking. In many instances, the sodium chlorite is sold with a citric acid “activator.” When the acid is added, the mixture becomes chlorine dioxide, a powerful bleaching agent.
Anything with the words “miracle” or “cure” attached should be approached with extreme caution. In this case, run away as fast as you can.